By-Laws and Standing Rules
Los Angeles Chapter of the National Association of Teachers of Singing, Inc.
1. The general meeting of the L.A. Chapter of NATS shall be held on the first Sunday of each month from September first to June thirtieth at 2:30 p.m. The Executive Board shall meet at the discretion of the President. (N.B.: Article IX., Section A. of the Constitution allows the Executive Board to change any meeting time or place, at its discretion.)
2. The meeting place of each session shall be announced in the newsletter or by special announcement.
3. Invited guests may attend open meetings. A member who brings several guests to the same meeting should notify the Hospitality Chairperson in advance. Closed meetings may be called at the direction of the Executive Board.
4. Dues for the Los Angeles Chapter of the National Association of Teachers of Singing shall be assessed in the following manner (see Article III in the Constitution for detailed membership information):
a. Annual membership dues for a FULL MEMBER are $50, payable each year in August. For new members joining after March 1st, the $50 dues will apply to the next season.
b. Annual membership dues for an ASSOCIATE MEMBER are $40.00, payable each year in August. For new members joining after March 1st, dues will apply to the following season.
c. Annual membership dues for an AFFILIATE MEMBER are $40.00, payable each year in August. For new members joining after March 1st, the $40.00 dues will apply to the following year.
d. EMERITUS MEMBERS are not required to pay dues.
e. HONORARY MEMBERS are not required to pay dues.
Dues not paid by October 1st will be dropped from the roster and the member's name will not be printed in the annual directory.
5. The annual dues for the National Association must be paid to the National Office upon notice from that office. **Notice: In order to remain an active member of the L.A. Chapter, one must be a member in good standing of the National Association.
6. A chapter directory shall be printed at the beginning of each new season and distributed by the Second Vice President.
7. A copy of the newsletter shall be mailed or emailed to each member in good standing prior to each meeting and to all guest speakers, members emeritus, regional chapter presidents, and to all appropriate national officers as directed by the President.
8. The President and Treasurer shall sign all checks issued on the funds of the chapter and bank account.
9. Chapter expenses incurred on behalf of the chapter with the approval of the Executive Board shall be paid by the Treasurer. Expense vouchers along with receipts must be submitted to the Treasurer before reimbursement checks are issued. Vouchers must be submitted within sixty days of incurring the expense in order to be considered. Failure to properly submit vouchers and receipts within the prescribed period may result in denial of reimbursement unless good cause is shown for such failure.
10. The duties of the elected and appointed officers are outlined in Articles IV, V and VI of the constitution.
11. The conduct of business at a general meeting may be followed in this order: a) call to order, b) reading of the minutes of the previous meeting, c) report of the treasurer, d) take up old business, e) new business, f) motions, seconds, discussion, voting, g) announcements, program and adjournment. In other matters when necessary Robert's Rules of Order (Revised) shall be consulted.
12. These by-laws may be amended by a majority vote of the membership at any meeting, providing the proposed amendment has been previously published to the members.
June 16, 1985 by Walter Martin, Chairman, Patrick Goeser and Robert Gurnee
July 14, 1991 by Alberta Gysin and Gwendolyn Roberts
October 26, 2005 by Margaret Dehning, Chair, Kathrin Rundus and Janet Smith